Sunday, July 15, 2012

My Poor Car!

On the way home from our St. Louis and Champaign adventure we ran into some car trouble. We started home from Champaign around noon, and had only made it about two hours when the car shut off going 70mph down the highway - and smoke started billowing in around the steering wheel and dash. Wow! Talk about scary. Tom was driving, and stayed calm as we pulled over on the shoulder.

We were both so started and got out of the car fast because we didn't know if the whole car had caught on fire. After the smoke clearing out and standing a few hundred yards down the highway, we went to check it out and call a tow company. Luckily, Ford has a roadside tow assistance that we called.

We spent about two hours on the highway waiting for the tow truck to come. We had a couple people stop to ask if we were okay, including a lady that gave us water bottles. A highway patrol stopped and ran our drivers license, but didn't offer to assist or let us sit in his ac. Jerk! It's funny how when you are in a situation like that how many different kinds of people you come across, and the people that are most willing to help. There are some NICE people in this world.

We made it back to Jacksonville, Illinois that night and took the car to the Ford dealership there in town. We made our way down the street to the Country Hearth Inn. If you are ever in the Jacksonville area - it's a real beaut. The next morning we heard the news that it was not actually the car at all - but the electric car starter! Ugh. What a headache. Tom, being the amazing husband that he is got the car starter for me for a Christmas present last year. The unit had been professional installed, and a highly rated electronic/auto store. Catch was that they installed it ALL wrong, broke equipment putting it in, and put it in with stereo wire. All in all it did a lot of damage, but could have been a lot worse. For a second I thought that my husband of just a few months was already trying to kill me. ;) Kidding!!!!

My uncle, and his staff were amazing. They were all so kind, helpful, understanding, giving (I could go on and on). It made me feel so blessed, and lucky that I have such good family and that Tom and I were safe. I cannot thank him and his staff enough!

We were able to get a rental car and drive back to Kansas City Monday afternoon. My car was safely delivered right to our front door 4 days later. So glad to have her back safe and sound. My car is my most prized possession (after Tom). Not only the Fusion, but Ford has been amazing. I would highly recommend and encourage everyone to not only buy American, but buy Ford! I LOVE that car!!!

I have every intention of going down to the auto shop that put the car starter in, and letting them know the damage, stress, and scare they caused. I think it's important that they know what happened - and that other people could be in this danger, and hurt a lot worse than what we were.

Letting our car cool off. When we still thought it was something under the hood. 
My poor poor car - she was not happy with me at this point. 
Inside the West Town Ford dealership 
So glad to have her back - love this car!


No comments:

Post a Comment