Friday, August 17, 2012

3 Little Puppies... What Were We Thinking?

Backstory: 

I am a HUGE dog lover, always have been. Had dogs growing up, and am a firm believer in the saying, "Whoever said diamonds were a girls best friend, never owned a dog." Is that a saying? ;) Anytime I am walking and see a puppy, I have to pause and have a conversation with it. I usually call all dogs puppies, and say things like, "Hey pup, how ya doing? You're pretty cute, ya know that? I see you wagging your tail." - and I of course have to say all of this in a weird high pitched voice, like I am talking to a child.

The puppies:

I have volunteered off and on at the Great Plains SPCA walking dogs for the past two years. The opportunity recently presented itself to foster a few lab puppies. (and by few I mean THREE 7 WEEK OLD PUPPIES!) I wasn't really sure what I was getting myself into. They told me it would only be for 6 days, and that they couldn't split them up. My other alternative was 1 German Shepard puppy for 6 weeks. I thought about a few things before committing to this... the amount of dog pee/poop I would have to clean up was not one of the things I thought about.

What I did think about:
1. That at some point in our lives we are going to get a dog so this would be a good experience for us.
2. That 7 week old lab puppies are so stinking cute.
3. We are in no way shape or form ready for a dog in our house, so I would NOT get attached.
4. Tom gave the okay on this whole deal, and actually sounded excited about it.

I picked the puppies up last Tuesday, and was given no instructions on them. The shelter provided food, toys, leashes, a cage, and a crate. I immediately fed them WAY to much and they were pooping and peeing everywhere. I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off, picking up after them and trying to give them a bath. I quickly learned to take them outside one by one, and that they weren't always going to be clean.

There were points during the week where I turned into a crazy person and said things like... I am never getting a dog or having kids, I can't believe how bad these "things" smell, and I can't wait to take them back. It was hard, really, really hard, and a lot of work to have 3 puppies.

Lesson Learned:
Having a dog is a HUGE responsibility. You can't just go and come whenever you please - you have to plan your schedule around their bathroom and feeding schedule. (and did I mention the amount of poop you have to clean up?!) It was definitely a good test run. I can say that I love my freedom, and am not ready to take care of a puppy. It made us feel really good that we were able to get them out of the shelter and keep them happy and healthy before going up for adoption. At the end of the week I did have a hard time saying goodbye.I did of course get attached to one of the puppies, and tears were shed when taking them back. They were neutered on Tuesday morning, and I went to check on the Wednesday afternoon and they had all already been adopted. I was so happy to hear that they all found home so quickly and easily.

If you are reading this and interested in adopting or fostering contact the Great Plains SPCA. http://www.greatplainsspca.org/

The three little hellions. 
Our first day with them. They were SO tiny. We think they must have been mixed with a smalled breed. 
Tom and the puppies.
How can you stay mad at a face like that? This was, Blackie. My favorite. 

Blackie getting a bath. This is his slicked back business look.


No comments:

Post a Comment