Thursday, April 12, 2012

Ice Cream, You Scream - Why Is Everybody Screaming?

Ice Cream, You Scream - Why Is Everybody Screaming? Because we made the most amazing homemade strawberry ice cream, that's why!

On Monday night Tom and I tested out our new ice cream maker that my grandma and grandma got for us at my bridal shower. (Thanks gramps and grams!) Tom could hardly wait, and honestly I am surprised we made it as long as we did (2 weeks) without making some. Tom surprised me when I got off work with all the ingredients, including fresh strawberries for the ice cream. For the most part it was fairly easy, freeze the bowl two days prior, add whole milk, sugar, vanilla, salt, and whipping cream - throw in the chopped up strawberries at the last minute and let the machine work it's magic for 45 minutes, and viola - all done. It called for red food coloring, but we didn't do that. We used enough strawberries ours was pretty and pink!

The only thing we might change in our recipe was using whole strawberry milk from one of our favorite local companies, Shatto Milk. Next up on our ice cream adventures are:
  • Banana ice cream
  • Whoopie pies with ice cream in the middle
  • Chocolate ice cream 
  • Cookie dough ice cream
Was I starting to sound like Bubba off Forest Gump? Don't worry I won't try shrimp ice cream - ew. We are open to suggestions and recipes too! Please share.

Our first batch of homemade ice cream was so delicious, and hard not to eat too much. We had some friends over Tuesday who got to enjoy the leftovers. I think it will be the perfect treat to finish off an outdoor BBQ this summer, and a good way to lure our friends over to see us every once in awhile. :)


Perfection in the works!


No comments:

Post a Comment