Sunday, October 7, 2012

Pumpkin Carving and Fall Festiveness!

Friday night we enjoyed one of Kansas City's best events - The American Royal BBQ! We went with our friends, Renee and Ben, Jon and Becca, and Adam and Andrea. The tickets and good food, and drinks were compliments of Renee! It was really chilly, but nothing good bbq, beer, and fireworks couldn't fix.

Yesterday we had our FIRST block party with the neighbors. Our next door neighbors, the Reeves hosted and we enjoyed hamburgers, hot dogs, and brats. The even numbers brought a side and the odd numbers brought a dessert. It was really nice to be able to meet everyone, and put a "face with a house." We met a really nice couple across the street that invited us out on their boat next spring, and I loved talking with the Reeves! I will definitely have to make cookies or treats to take around this winter. We are really lucky to have such nice neighbors and live in a great house!

Last night we had the Thowe's and the FitsGeralds over for dinner and pumpkin carving. It was really chilly here in Kansas City, so it was perfect fall weather. We made spiced nuts, had apples and caramel  spiced cider, chili, and pumpkin bars. MmmmMmmm!

Tom makes a mean chili with a kick to it! Unfortunately, I can't tell you the recipe because it's a secret family recipe. I just wish I had a dog to tell you that! (cue Busch's Baked Bean joke) I can however share the recipe for the spiced nuts... http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2012/10/chile-lime-cashews enjoy! The recipe came from Bon Appetit magazine - I swear that magazine is the best thing that ever happened to our kitchen.

After dinner we carved pumpkins. It was a lot of fun, and great to see everyone's end results! We sat on the floor in the great room with trash bags under us, and the fire going. It was too cold to carve outside. After pumpkin carving we watched a scary movie. Tis the season. We watched Paranormal Activity - and I am shocked I slept through the night. It was scary!

It was an awesome weekend filled with great friends, and the perfect way to enjoy fall!

Happy Fall! 

Erica and Chris getting ready to carve their pumpkins! 

Tom and I's end product! VERY spooktacular!
The FitzGeralds with their punkins!
Our wonderful fire compliments of Thomas. 
Carve away!
Everyone's pumpkins all lined up! We are very creative, eh?
Another shot of Tom and I's!
The start of the chili... yummy!
The chili beginning to get SPICY! 
Andrea, Becca, and I at the American Royal. 
On a side note... Tom and I have been running quiet a bit - training for our 5k. I am so proud of us!! He ran yesterday in this white hoodie and I thought it was so funny!! You don't see very many guys under 65 in white fleeces. ;) Love you Tom!!

1 comment: