Thursday, March 28, 2013

Recent Cooking Adventures...

I tried a few new recipes this week and had success with all of them. I am going to give the credit to the recipes, and not the chef. They were a 6 out of 10 on a difficulty scale.

We are huge lovers of spaghetti squash and the grocery store by our house is always stocked up on them. I am looking for new recipes that have spaghetti squash in them. I tried spaghetti squash pad thai this week and it was delicious. I even made egg drop soup to go with it. Here are a few things that I would change/adjust about the recipe:

  • add 2 tablespoons of peanut butter to the sunshine sauce 
  • top the dish with cilantro, a few green onions, and chopped walnuts 
  • You can substitute soy sauce for coconut aminos if you don't have that
  • You can substitute canola oil for coconut oil - that stuff is expensive! 

We made a few frozen crock pot meals earlier this year, to stick in the crock pot on busy days. We tried the vegetable beef soup this week - and it was the best one we had made it. We recommend! The link takes you to all the crock pot meals we tried - we only recommend making the vegetable stew one, the others just aren't that great. You can make this one fresh, or make it and put it in a big zip lock back and freeze a few meals. Perfect for a cold day. Add cheese and your dinner is served! (no photo for this one... sorry!)

I made a kale and Brussels sprout salad tonight. It was perfect for a spring day, and very filling. I also just learned today that you actually have to capitalize the word Brussels. The vegetable was cultivated thousands of years ago in Rome, but were popular in Brussels hence the naming. I like to call them mini lettuce heads. Here are a few things that I would change/adjust about the recipe:

  • Use 1/3 cup lemon juice 
  • Add a teensy bit more olive oil to the kale mix 
  •  I just used 1 head curly kale (what's found in most grocery stores) 
  • Add the dressing about 30 minutes prior and refrigerate about 20 minutes prior to serving, so the dressing can soak into the kale 
  • You could add chicken or salmon to make this a hearty meal event though it's filling without


Bon Appetit!

Today is also Tom and I's 11 month anniversary. After cooking our veggie soup crock pot meal we had a place clear in our freezer, and now the wedding cake is staring at me every time I open the door. I am so excited to eat it again. It was seriously the best cake ever. Ekkkk can't believe we are almost to our one year anniversary. :) Love married life!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like great recipes and modifications! I'll let you know when I make the Brussels sprouts recipe! Scott loves those!

    ReplyDelete