Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Happy Birthday Pat!

Today is Tom's mom's birthday. Although I never got to meet Pat, I feel like I get to know a little bit of her through Tom. I love hearing stories about Tom's childhood, seeing photos, and of course watching home videos of Tom's childhood. I wish I got to meet Pat, and thank her for raising such an amazing son and sharing him with me. Although I didn't get to meet her, these are the things I've learned and know about her. 

1. She was loved. Byron, Tom, and her whole family loved her so much. The way they talk about her, and remember her is truly amazing.

2. Tom looks SO much like Pat. It's crazy when I see photos, how much he resembles her (the nose!). I love getting to see a little bit of Pat in Tom. 

3. She loved to garden, and she was good at it. She instilled her love for gardening in Tom. He is a successful gardener of tomatoes, peppers, onions, beets, hops, and so much more. It's been fun to have a garden and hear stories of what Tom used to grow with his mom! 

4. She was really funny. From the stories that Tom told me, she was witty, and had a great sense of humor. I love hearing her laugh at and with Tom in the home videos. I could tell she was a really fun mom. 

5. She was a good cook! I am working hard to live up to her pot roast and strawberry rhubarb pies. ;)

6. She was an awesome mom. I know how Tom turned out, and how he treats women... that alone tells me how great of a mom she was. She taught Tom how to be a kind and caring person, a good friend, a hard worker and I am sure so many other valuable lessons. 

7. She was a talented painter. We have a couple photos that she painted in the house, and I am so impressed with her artistic abilities. I am glad we get to display them!

8. She was a hard worker. Not only was she a mom, wife, sister, aunt, and grandma, but she worked at Veterans Hospital for almost 10 years after they moved back to Kansas. In Alaska she worked for the forestry service, and served in the Marine Corps when she was younger. Some might have compared her to Annie the Riveter (kidding!).  

I am excited to learn a lot more about Pat in years to come. Happy Birthday Pat!! You are loved and missed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment